Pithy remarks and quotable quotes. Wordsworth takes the best statements of the week and packages them into one exciting feature. From quotes that help you delve further into the psyche of players to acerbic barbs from incensed cricketers to remarks that are just downright hilarious, we have them all. They may not quite be "from the mouths of babes and sucklings," but they are just as interesting.
December 1st week
Couldn't they call me for two minutes? Is it a new rule that the captain
will not be asked for his opinion?
- Indian captain Sourav Ganguly, on not being consulted by national selectors.
Cricket has come through some recent crises very strongly and I am sure
it will do so again.
- ICC Chief Executive Malcolm Speed, on the BCCI ICC row.
It is our job to play cricket, and that is what we will do. If the ECB
phones us and tells us to take the next flight back, we will do that.
- England coach Duncan Fletcher, on the BCCI-ICC row.
We are not such big cricketers in India that people will prepare wickets
specially for us in the winter.
- Iqbal Siddiqui, on why he played English club cricket in the Indian off-season.
The ICC is the governing body, and if they say the Test is on, we will
play, whether it is in Kathmandu or Mohali.
- Nasser Hussain, on the possibility of cancellation of the Mohali Test.
For five days, you see your team-mates slog it out for six hours at a
stretch daily, and I just sit with a glum face in the dressing room.
- Virender Sehwag, on being suspended for one Test.
We won against Australia because Harbhajan Singh took 32 wickets. We're
very dependent on the quality of our spin bowlers.
- Indian coach John Wright, on the Indian dependance on spin.
I thought we were on our best behaviour in South Africa.
- Sourav Ganguly.
In England you can run up and land four balls in the right area and let
the wickets do the rest. In these parts you have to be disciplined and
bowl to a plan.
- Nasser Hussain, on sub-continental tracks.