Pithy remarks and quotable quotes. Wordsworth takes the best statements of the week and packages them into one exciting feature. From quotes that help you delve further into the psyche of players to acerbic barbs from incensed cricketers to remarks that are just downright hilarious, we have them all. They may not quite be "from the mouths of babes and sucklings," but they are just as interesting.
December 3rd week
He's an awesome cricketer, an awesome man, I think. It's a pleasure to
play against him and interesting just sitting in the background and
listening to him speak.
- Ashley Giles, on Sachin Tendulkar.
I am playing well enough to get the big scores. I thought today would be
the day. I felt secure at the crease and was concentrating really well.
- Marcus Trescothick, on missing out on a century at Ahmedabad.
Against Kumble, it is not a good shot. He is too quick, and he bowls
wicket-to-wicket, which brings lbw into play.
- Graham Gooch, on the sweep shot.
Pressing matters of a personal nature have arisen that required Graham's
immediate attention. The team management request that Graham's privacy
and that of his family be respected by all.
- The England and Wales Cricket Board statement, on Graham Thorpe dropping
out of the Indian tour.
We should win 3-0 if we play to our potential.
- Indian captain Sourav Ganguly, ahead of the Ahmedabad Test.
There were some shots played that would not have been out of place in a
Saturday afternoon bash between two church teams.
- Sunil Gavaskar, on the English batting in the Mohali Test.
I genuinely prefer to bowl on slow, low, shitheaps.
- Craig White, expressing his love for subcontinental wickets.
That's what Test cricket is all about. Every day and every innings you
are not going to get the ball where you want.
- Sachin Tendulkar, on the 8-1 field used against him at Motera.
There's a statistic going round suggesting that every time he (Sachin
Tendulkar) scores a hundred, India don't win the game.
- Mark Butcher, on England's chances on the fifth day at Motera.
I am not fussed about moral victories. I just want us to be as good as
we can be.
- England captain Nasser Hussain, at the end of the Ahmedabad Test.
There is no question of changing John Wright. He has been a very good
- Sourav Ganguly.