Lancashire League Round-up

The Lancashire Evening Telegraph

22 June 1998

NEIL Smith was run out from the last ball of the game as Colne and Todmorden tied in a thriller at the Horsfield.

Chasing 118 to win from a rain reduced overs total of 44, Todmorden were pegged back by Joe Scuderi and Nick Moulding.

Scuderi moved the ball all over the place in bowler friendly conditions to finish with 2-23 from a 20-over spell. And Moulding picked up 5-43 to keep the visitors in check.

With middle order men Mark Clayton, Alex Scholefield and Duncan Parker getting into the twenties Todmorden looked set for victory.

But Colne kept picking up wickets and as the pressure mounted and overs ticked away, Todmorden were left needing four from the last over bowled by Moulding.

Smith and Stuart Parker managed just three singles between them and with the fielders crowded round the bat, Smith was only able to squeeze a yorker as far as Scuderi at short extra cover from the final ball and was comfortably beaten to the bowler's end by the Colne professional.

Duncan Parker had earlier exploited the conditions just as well as he picked up 6-43 and with John Barker claiming 3-7 Colne looked to be at least 25 runs short.

The top-of-the-table clash between East Lancs and Nelson ended in a stalemate at Alexandra Meadows.

In a game interupted by the weather, Nelson struggled in damp conditions to 88-8 off their full quota of 55 overs.

Paul Garaghty held things together with an unbeaten 43 as professional Brad Young (4-44) and Phil Mooney (3-13) wreaked havoc with the ball.

Further downpours left the home side with just 27 overs in which to get their target and some superbly controlled bowling from Roger Harper and Danny Kegg kept them down to 29-1 off 16 overs.

Young managed to up the tempo but once he went four wickets fell for just eight runs, and needing 18 from the final over, East Lancs finished seven runs short.

Bacup and Enfield were also involved in an exciting finish, although neither side was able to force a result.

Laim Jackson took 6-32 as Bacup were bowled out for 151 inside 54 overs, Matthew O'Connor holding the innings together with an unbeaten 57 from 72 balls with six fours.

Further rain at tea left Enfield with just 40 overs to bat as they re-started at 10 past five.

The home side then slumped to 96-8 before Bernard Reidy launched a late onslaught to set up an outside chance of victory.

Enfield went into the last over needing 18 for victory but after securing a bonus batting point Reidy was caught on the boundary and with the batsmen having crossed, Warren Eastham blocked out the last two balls to secure the draw.

A combination of rain and Accrington's decision to bat 55 overs left Rambsottom with just 32 overs to make 158 for victory at Acre Bottom.

And they probably would have done if professional Ian Harvey hadn't fallen to a stunning catch at backward point by Ryan Campbell.

Harvey had made 42 from just 27 balls and Ramsbottom were on 96 when he departed, Gary Dyson having made 33.

But with the impetus lost they were only able to secure the bonus batting points and close on 146-6.

Harvey had also starred with the ball, taking 7-48 as Accrington, held together by Paul Barratt's 122-ball half-century, posted 157-8.

Anthony Botha was the star of Burnley's win over Haslingden at Turf Moor.

The South African hammered 73 to top score with the bat as Burnley amassed 170-8.

And he then picked up 5-35 with the ball as Haslingden were skittled for 129 in 39 overs.

Only Paul Blackledge offered any real defiance with 46 before he became one of David Connolly's three victims.

Church crushed Lowerhouse at Blackburn Road after professional Neil McGarrell and teenager Craig Fergusson picked up three wickets apiece.

Lowerhouse crumbled to 95 all out as Mcgarrell helped himself to 3-36 and Fergusson claimed 3-21.

Alex Holt (37) and Mcgarrell (36 no) then made light work of the run chase as Church finished on 97-2 to seal a comfortable eight wicket win.

It's not wise to ruffle Russell!

RAWTENSTALL made one crucial mistake in their match with Rishton at the Worswick Memorial Ground - they wound up the wrong man in Russell Whalley.

The Rishton skipper is at his most dangerous when the going gets tough.

And so it proved when a small shandy-fuelled section of the home support regrettably decided to taunt his every stroke.

Instead of extinguishing the fire in Whalley's belly it only seemed to fan the flames.

The louder they jeered the further Rishton's laughing cavalier appeared to dispatch the bowling.

He smashed a quite superb 61 off just 49 balls, blasting five 6s in the process, to set up his side's five-wicket victory with four overs to spare.

``I felt very good out there especially after also having a bit of an argument with Keith Arthurton,'' said Whalley.

``Once I'd won the battle with him then I knew we would win.''

The Rishton captain's hard hitting heroics might have caught the eye. But it was the more subtle skills of professional Corrie Jordaan which provided the platform for his skipper's fireworks.

The South African conjured up his own brand of magic to leave the home side in a spin.

In an amazing spell he ripped the heart out of the Rawtenstall top order on his way to 4-38 from 28 overs.

He had already bowled opener John Hall (6) when he snapped up the all-important wicket of his opposite number Arthurton, caught at square leg by Jimmy Bibby for 2.

And by the time he had skittled Peter Hanson for 23 Jordaan had reeled off 10 maidens in his opening 12 overs, taking 3-2. Simply incredible.

A 53 partnership between Richard Wood (39 no) and Jamie Carter (20) went some way towards repairing the damage.

But Wood's knock - which lasted 94 balls and included just two boundaries - was an indication of how difficult batting had become.

``Corrie bowled magnificently again,'' said Whalley.

``I don't think there's many pros in this league that have performed as well as he has this season. He was tremendous.''

Rishton had just 33 overs in which to get the target of 133 after the home side used their full quota and 12 were lost to the rain.

tuart Roberts (24) dominated an opening stand of 28 with Bibby before he was caught at slip.

And Bibby (10) then joined him back in the pavilion as Pat Rush claimed his second wicket following another smart slip catch.

Whalley survived a scare when he was bowled by Rush off a no-ball but he did pick up a third victim, bowling Jonathan Dobson to reduce Rishton to 52-3.

That was Whalley's cue to go on the offensive.

A six over midwicket was followed by an even bigger one over deep square leg.

And the next ball went for four as he smashed 17 off one Rush over.

Two more sixes whistled to the boundary in his next over which went for 15.

While in between, Keith Roscoe picked up the wicket of Neil Wells.

That brought Paul Whalley to the crease who soon got in on the act with two fours through midwicket.

Another fierce four brought up Russ Whalley's 50.

And he followed that up with another straight six and a four from the same Roscoe over.

He was finally caught at backward point, appropriately by Rush, with 11 still needed.

But Paul Whalley and John Wharton saw Rishton safely home with nearly four overs to spare.

``It's all good fun at the end of the day. As long as we win it doesn't really matter,'' said Whalley in reference to the stick from the crowd.

``I said I would have a pint with them after the game but obviously they all ran off sulking.

``A situation like that brings the best out of me without a doubt especially once I get the pros going.

``I was bowled off a no-ball which is one of those things but after that I didn't give a chance.''

Rishton's cavalier had undoubtedly had the last laugh.

Source: The Lancashire Evening Telegraph

Contributed by CricInfo Management, and reproduced with permission

Date-stamped : 07 Oct1998 - 04:31