CricInfo Championship: Somerset v Yorkshire at Bath, 13-16 Jun 2001
Richard Latham

Yorkshire 1st innings: Lunch - Day 3, Tea - Day 3, Stumps - Day 3,
Live Reports from previous days


The 50th first-class hundred of Darren Lehmann's career and a century from youngster Matthew Wood guided Yorkshire to maximum batting bonus points in the Bath Festival match with Somerset.

The visitors closed day three on 425-4 in response to Somerset's 553-5 declared and a draw looks inevitable in this Division One confrontation.

Wood, who put on 179 for the opening wicket with Scott Richardson, struck 124 from 223 balls, with 14 fours and two sixes.

He reached his century in style with a pulled six off Jason Kerr and it was the first time he had made a hundred since the opening Championship game of last year against Derbyshire. Pace bowler Richard Johnson finally breached Wood's defences with a delivery that knocked back his off stump.

But well as Johnson and spinner Keith Dutch bowled, there was little joy to be found in an excellent batting pitch.

It might have been different had Lehmann not been dropped by Kerr at mid-wicket, off Somerset's Matthew Wood, when on 49. That would have left Yorkshire on 305-5 and in possible danger of not reaching the follow-on target of 404. Instead, Lehmann and Gary Fellows shared an unbroken fifth-wicket stand of 144.

Lehmann reached his century with a single to square leg off Peter Trego and his 136-ball effort had contained 12 fours and a six.

He then enjoyed another piece of luck when, on 103, Piran Holloway missed a chance at slip off Dutch.

Somerset suffered a setback before play started when X-rays revealed that captain Jamie Cox had fractured the thumb on his left hand while attempting to stop a boundary from Wood yesterday. He expects to be out for around two to three weeks.


Yorkshire opener Matthew Wood celebrated his first century for 14 months in the CricInfo Championsip first division match with Somerset at Bath.

Wood progressed to 124 before he was bowled by Richard Johnson, having struck 13 fours and two sxies in his 223-ball innings.

It was his first hunded since the Championship game with Derbyshire in April last year and a chanceless effort.

Replying to Somerset's 553-5 declared, Scott Richardson contributed 68 to an opening stand of 179 with Wood before he was bowled by spinner Keith Dutch off the last ball before lunch.

Craig White was the next to go for 16 when he miscued a sweep at Dutch and Mark Lathwell held a running catch at mid-wicket.

Following Wood's departure, Darren Lehmann and David Byas overcame some testing bowling from Dutch and Johnson to put on 53 for the fourth wicket.

The partnership was broken just before tea when Steffan Jones nipped one off the seam and Byas edged to Rob Turner behind the stumps for 20.

Gary Fellows came in to join Lehmann who was unbeaten on 40 with the tea score on 293-4.

Somerset were dealt a blow before play when X-rays revealed that captain Jamie Cox had fractured a thumb on his left hand while trying to stop a bounday from Wood yesterday. He expects to be sidelined for two to three weeks.


Yorkshire openers Matthew Wood and Scott Richardson continued to pile up the runs after a rain-delayed start to the third day of the CricInfo County Championship match with Somerset at Bath.

After heavy showers prevented play until 11.45am, Wood and Richardson added 60 runs to their overnight 119-0 before Richardson was bowled by spinner Keith Dutch to the last ball before lunch for 68.

The partnership surpassed the 152 they put on in last week's game against Kent, but Richardson will have been particularly disappointed to be dismissed one short of the career-best he made in that game. His 145-ball innings contained nine fours.

Wood was unbeaten on 97 at the interval, with 12 fours and a six, and will be hoping to reach his first hundred of the season after lunch.

He hooked Richard Johnson for a six behind square shortly after play started, but then received a blow on the hand from the same bowler two deliveries later.

Somerset suffered a setback before play got under way when x-rays revealed that captain Jamie Cox had fractured the thumb on his left hand the previous day, when he crashed into the boundary boards while attempting to stop a shot from Wood.

The Somerset batsman estimates he will be out for two to three weeks.

© CricInfo

Date-stamped : 15 Jun2001 - 22:42